The Report on the Tragic and Brutal Death of 3-year-old Nathaniel Lopez

The Arizona Department of Economic Security has released a report on the tragic and brutal death of 3-year-old Nathaniel Lopez on March 26th. Here is the link to that report.

Nathaniel Lopez Report

This is a picture of Nathaniel Lopez at his birthday party just 3 days before his death and 3 days after CPS left him in the home.

Lopez baby 03 29 13 293x300 The Report on the Tragic and Brutal Death of 3 year old Nathaniel Lopez

Susan K of Gila 1019 reports:

Watch KPHO News Story

23 comments for “The Report on the Tragic and Brutal Death of 3-year-old Nathaniel Lopez

1. Adri
    April 9, 2013 at 2:29 am

May his beautiful soul rest in peace ♥

2. Rose
    April 9, 2013 at 3:10 am

This story is very sad and sickening. This cute little baby didn’t deserve this. No child deserves any kind of abuse. And to post a picture of what he looked like three days before his death. Made it hit my heart harder. RIP baby Nathaniel.

3. April 9, 2013 at 1:29 pm

This is such a HEARTBREAKING story. The only consulation is that this child is now in heaven with God and receiving his unconditional love that he NEVER knew here on earth. I pray God will PUNISH n Cause SUFFERING to the man who committed this horrific crime. May he feel Nathaniel’s pain!!! Rest in Peace Nathaniel.

4. josie
    April 9, 2013 at 1:37 pm

This baby needs JUSTICE!

5. T!
    April 9, 2013 at 2:06 pm

My question is who took this photo and still did nothing??? Poor child..didn’t have a chance. May you rest in peace lil one!

• donnie
      April 9, 2013 at 8:06 pm

What I would like to know is why CPS didn’t pull the poor kid out of the home. They had to know he was getting abused. I mean look at him. Its sad. I think CPS should get the same changes, they knew. They just didn’t want to do any paper work. That’s Miami and Globe for you. And you know what to think about this? If CPS did their job, this poor helpless kid could of made it. And the people who did this, they will get there judgment from GOD

6. Lorine B
    April 9, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Look at his little face!! You can see it is swollen and bruised! And they left him in that home?? Why?? You are telling me that other family members did not know??? CPS and the other family members are just as guilty as the pathetic excuses of human beings as the mother and her boyfriend. I hope they see his sweet little face in their dreams every-single-night!

• Noneya
      June 20, 2014 at 9:06 pm

For the record, the man that murdered this child was a vicious, abusive monster. And like many abusers, he did his best to control Marcelina’s life and keep her away from her support system. If the other members of the family didn’t know what was happening, it’s because they had NO WAY of knowing.

This is day 1 stuff when you study patterns of abuse, but don’t let that stop you and everyone else from climbing up on your high horse.

7. j guerra
    April 9, 2013 at 3:06 pm

You can see the pain in his eyes. This poor child. I had my doubts as to if Marcelina was involved, but even if she wasn’t she sure as hell didn’t do anything. RIP sweet baby, your time here was short but you will live forever

8. Lorine
    April 9, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Whoever knew that this baby was being abused is guilty! We need to start charging people who stand by and do nothing as accomplises to murder. Did they care more about overstepping their boundaries or hurting feelings rather than protecting this beautiful child! Was it because they were “family”?? Who knows why NO ONE would step up and protect him! Who was at the party?? Who took this picture?? GUILTY! Every–single-one-of-you! God have mercy on your souls!

9. donnie
    April 9, 2013 at 8:21 pm

What I would like to know is yes, CPS didn’t pull the poor kid out of the home. They had to know he was getting abuse,
    I mean look at him. It’s sad. I think CPS should get the same charges, as they knew. They just didn’t want to do any paper work. That’s Miami and Globe for you. And you know what I think about this? If CPS did their job, this poor helpless kid could have made it, and the people that did this, know they will get their judgment from GOD

10. Monique
    April 9, 2013 at 9:16 pm

I hope that the mom is haunted by this every night, because she should be grateful that she was blessed to have a child. As a mom, your duty is to love and protect your child at any cost. No man is worth your child’s life. What kind of idiot would let someone hurt such a innocent life. As for this monster that did this, if only the judicial system sentencing would be an eye for a eye. Make him suffer as this poor angel did. I agree that the boy’s biological father and family should pay as well. You can’t tell me that none of the injuries were noticeable. This never should of happened. If the boys own family couldn’t help him and CPS couldn’t help him, maybe heaven is the safest place for him. May he rest in peace now and sleep with the angels.

11. Morgan
    April 10, 2013 at 12:58 am

This is sickening!!! I think our community needs to come together to protect our children. I am SICK to death of hearing of these babies being abused, beaten, and molested. This is what keeps me up at night knowing that these children have to live in fear everyday. These children have had their innocents taken from them. Rip baby boy!

12. Nancy
    April 10, 2013 at 6:06 am

I cry for that poor baby, he did not deserve this! I look at that picture and think, baby Nathaniel didn’t know or realize what was going on with his face or body, he’s too innocent to know, and nevertheless he still was able to keep his beautiful smile going.

God bless you sweet little boy, Nathaniel.

13. valerie osorio
    April 10, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Do to them what they did to that precious little boy..Why does this have to happen? It makes me so sad. May God have mercy on their souls.

14. Terri
    April 10, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Although I understand what each of you have said on this webpage and agree that something needs to be done to help protect our children in this world. I also agree that something needs to be done with our CPS system, not only in our state but every state. I believe an eye for an eye, but I also believe in forgiveness too! But for the grace of God there go we!!!I thank God all the time that I am who I am in him and that my life has not had to down a path such as this. I believe a lot of people are responsible for the neglect of this child and one person responsible for his death and I believe they should be punished for it, but they also need salvation and if God can forgive them so can I. That doesn’t mean I understand it all or why Marcelina didn’t protect her child but I do know and believe they both need salvation and forgiveness. I do not mean to offend anyone with my opinion but this Mother and her boyfriend are a product of the world in which we live in today and the only way this world is going to change is through prayer and seeking God and getting rid of the all the filth in this world. I am not their judge and will not judge them, I am going to pray for them and that is what we all should be doing. Nathaniel’s life was cut short and he is now in heave with God and will never again know pain or hurt, but this Mother and her boyfriend their pain has only just begun. We also need to remember to pray for Marcelina’s other children too! I heard one has been placed with their Father and the others are in CPS custody and that is not always a good thing.

15. j guerra
    April 10, 2013 at 4:02 pm

What’s most scary is the first report was received in July 2012, He died in March. That’s 8 months of abuse. Those poor children. Lock them both up. I’m physically sick

16. Lorine
    April 11, 2013 at 10:07 am

Terri, everyone is a product of this world. Your world is what you make of it. There is NEVER an excuse to hurt an innocent child. I have known friends who have grown up in horrible situations, bad family life, etc. But they have turned out to be wonderful parents, not wanting to make the same mistakes their parents did. It is called PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY! Everyone has a choice. This pathetic excuse of a mother did not do the ONE thing she needed to do as a mother and that was protect her child. She choose, like many other mothers do, her boyfriend over her child. Her family members CHOOSE to look the other way. And now this child is dead and most likely lived a horrible existence up until his death. RIP little one, I hope he now finds the peace, comfort, and the love that his worthless “family” members could never provide him.

• Terri
      April 11, 2013 at 10:30 am

Lorine, I totally agree with you and understand all that you said and I too know many people who have come from horrible childhoods that did not repeat the same with their children. Like I said I do not understand it all and I truly feel that both should pay for what they have done to this little boy. I believe the boyfriend should get the death penalty (an eye for an eye) and she should get life or the death penalty. My feelings and opinions in my earlier post about forgiveness, salvation and being products of this world do not excuse them of what they did to this little boy nor those in CPS or Family members who could have and should have saved this little boy. I am just as outraged and sick as the rest of this community is but I still believe in forgiveness and salvation and posted that for those who believe the same as I do in our community. Our world is only getting sicker and it is sad that our child have to suffer so much in this world.

17. Mark
    April 12, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Please tell me someone is going to investigate this further. Looking at the pictures watching the videos on CBS 5 and reading the reports, how is CPS not being held accountable for Nathaniel’s death? Read the report! Nathaniel was at the emergency room 5 days before his death and they stated there was no skull fracture or internal bleeding. The report states “The CT scan showed a new and old bleed in his scalp area. His chest x-ray revealed an old clavicle fracture and infiltrates in his lungs.” How were the old bleeds and old fractures not found if Nathaniel was examined as thoroughly as they claim? Besides the obvious people who failed to keep Nathaniel healthy and safe. I think that the failure of Child Protective Service, Cobre Valley Regional Medical Center, the emergency room, and the emergency room Doctor has to be criminal. Nathaniel deserves justice and if the above mentioned cannot be held criminally responsible for their failure then hopefully they can be held civilly responsible. Whether they are held responsible Nathaniel’s death civilly in court or by those of us that are member community by refusing to accept service from the above mention, something has got to occur! Until I see a report that states differently, rest assured that no member of my family will be seeking treatment from Cobre Valley Regional Medical Center or their associated emergency room. God Bless You Nathaniel! May God provide love, safety, and comfort you deserve!!!

18. Suz
    May 2, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Mark, you are certainly correct!!! My litto cousin deserves justice!!!! My heart hurts every time I see something like this. You didn’t deserve this Baby boy!! I don’t understand how this can happen and no one stopped it right away. I clearly see abuse all over him. What is wrong with people in this world?

19. Donna
    January 21, 2014 at 10:14 am

My heart sinks to think of the daily trauma this boy and the siblings have suffered from this horrible person. Yes, I agree the mother should be held accountable as well. She should never be able to have or raise children ever again. Why has the man in this case been released? Sickning. RIP little Nathaniel. May God hold you in his protective arms always.

20. tammy sandner
    January 25, 2014 at 6:40 am

Content valley regional medical center sent him to the valley where they did all the tests.